Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Barangay Hulong Duhat's turn to fiesta

It was Hulong Duhat's turn to fiesta yesterday.

I was able to to visit the place only this afternoon -- the buntings ("banderitas") were still up, so there was still a bit of the fiesta feeling.  An improvised stage was still set up, too. 

Fiesta activities included a pagoda (fluvial procession) on the Malabon River at 10:00am yesterday.  A "sagalahan" (procession of models) was also held on Saturday evening.  It would have been nice to watch the pagoda.  After watching my first-ever pagoda last December at the Barangay Concepcion fiesta, I suddenly feel like I've been missing out on something special all these years that I've been a Malabon resident.  So now I want to watch more pagodas!


BARANGAY HULONG DUHAT
Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Exaltation of the Holy Cross Parish Church on Gervacio Street, Barangay Hulong Duhat.  I was told that Bishop Deogracias Iniguez was to celebrate Mass at the chapel at 5:30pm yesterday.





XXX

6 comments:

  1. The Exaltation of the Holy Cross Parish used to be a chapel of the Immaculate Conception Parish before it became independent. When I was in grade school in ICPS I recall that the December Catholic procession would go through Hulo. Now, its just until Kadiwa (Bonifacio Street) Thanks for the Info... I haven't heard of the Pagoda of the Exaltation of the Cross church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a suggestion... how about looking into the Flores Chapel (La Peregrina Chapel). It's been there since 1896 or so... might be something of interest considering it's the month of may.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that bit of information.

    I didn't know there was a pagoda, either, but that's what the barangay office told me yesterday afternoon when I called to find out what were the activities for the fiesta. I was told they had a pagoda in the morning. I'll try to find out when they started doing the pagoda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good that you should mention about the Flores Chapel. We always pass by it whenever we go to buy our favorite turon pinipig from Aling Tessie and I've been thinking I should look into it, too! Well, its fiesta is coming up end of May, so for sure I'll be doing just that.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I used to be sacristan there, thanks for posting....

    ReplyDelete