Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Remembering Mang Ador and Tropicana Studio

"Master Photographer" of the 40s, 50s and 60s -- that would be none other than Dominador J. Cruz or "Mang Ador" of TROPICANA STUDIO.

On the same day we ate at Rosy's, I also dropped by TROPICANA STUDIO to reminisce about the late great Mang Ador. The studio interior is still very much the way I remembered it in the early 70s when I last stepped inside for my high school graduation picture. 


From a poster at the Malabon Public Library


Mang Ador founded TROPICANA STUDIO in 1945.  Some time after, he was taken in as official photographer of LVN Studios, and became known as "Photographer of the Stars."  1/   He photographed famous stars of the era like Fernando Poe, Jr., Susan Roces, Gloria Romero, Amalia Fuentes, Romeo Vazquez, Rosemarie, Luis Gonzales, Juancho Gutierrez, Lolita Rodriguez, Dolphy and others.  Looking at the framed line-up of stars photographed by Mang Ador on the studio wall, it seems there was no star of that era who was not photographed by him.  That's why during those days we were always excited to find out  who was the latest star whose portrait was displayed in their show window, that we would crane our necks whenever our jeepney passed by TROPICANA!


 (Tropicana portraits from Edward delos Santos)


With such a star-studded clientele, who would not want to have the chance to have his/her portrait also taken by Mang Ador?  Young as we were back then, it was definitely a thrill whenever we would find ourselves in Mang Ador's studio.  Not only was TROPICANA our school photographer for the annual class pictures;  all the important events of my youth were immortalized by them -- my first communion, and my elementary, high school and college graduations.  Too bad that I didn't go the whole nine yards by getting Mang Ador to do my wedding portrait as well!

What makes Mang Ador memorable is that he not only excelled at his craft; he was a warm, humble and good natured person, who had a way of making you feel at ease in front of the camera and look good on paper, too!  Honestly, sometimes I think that it was seeing Mang Ador's friendly smile behind the camera that made you smile right back.  He captured the essence of the person and the moment well, and you could happily hold that precious moment throughout your life.



From a video entitled "Maunlad na Malabon - Ituloy Natin 'To"


When Mang Ador passed away in 2008, Philippine photography lost one of its greats, while the people of Malabon lost someone we could proudly call our own.



TROPICANA STUDIO circa 1960s:

Tropicana Studio with its simple, homey facade  (Photo from Arch. Richard Bautista)


TROPICANA STUDIO - 2010:


The familiar Tropicana signature on their portraits



TROPICANA STUDIO
252 General Luna Street
Barangay Concepcion
Malabon City
Tel. No. 281.2987 (posted 4/13/11)


1/    Source:   "Tambobong, Malabong, Malabon sa Ika-Apat na raang Taon"

.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Cecile! Remember tuloy nung tinuruan niya kaming dalawa ni Danilo Viola mag process at mag develope ng film nung Grade 5. Assignment namin para sa class ni Miss Belen Punzalan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manny, bakit kayo nagka assignment ng photography kay Miss Punzalan. Daya. Wala kami nun, ah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cecile ang naaalala ko ay yung mrs ni mang ador. Nakapasok kami sa dark room nila at tinuturuan pa ako paano magdevelop at magprint ng mga litrato. Ang tanda ko pa noon ay binigyan pa ako ng picture ni Helen Gamboa para daw souvenir ko

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous... You must be referring to Tio Ador's sister-in-law, Aling Siring as fondly called by everyone and my mother who let you in the dark room lab and showed you how to print pictures. She was the only in-law who had hands on the lab production.

    Lou Cruz Palafox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this! My family and I have photos taken at Tropicana. I was too young to remember who Mang Ador is but we have the photos with Tropicana embossed at the bottom.

    Carlos Tiangco

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carlos, Mang Ador was an "institution" during his time, along with Tropicana Studio. Too bad you were too young to remember him. At least you have those photos taken at Tropicana and you can consider them as memorabilia from Mang Ador's era!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also like Tropicana for it's excellent photography. For me quality counts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous, I agree. Tropicana portraits have become classics over the years.

    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. do they keep old photos from late 60's & 70's? my older sister now deceased had pictures taken in Tropicana and they were beautiful.as time goes by they were lost, her son (my nephew)wanted them so desperately to show to his family. need your HELP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous, I'm sorry to hear that your deceased sister's Tropicana pictures were lost.

    I called up Tropicana just now and spoke to a certain Jo. She says they only have photo files from 1996 onwards. The older negatives already deteriorated due to age so these had to be discarded.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a few of my grandmother's photos were taken at the Tropicana. Here's one of them :)

    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FyPGfUXpOWc/TfWx70aLSQI/AAAAAAAAMic/mwYhLx1uWLk/s800/purita-lavente.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bambit, Nice... Classic Tropicana. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Were you the ones who took grad pics of SHS batch 2006-2007? Do you still have a copy of everyone`s picture there? I damaged accidentally my friend`s grad pic and it was the "One and only" picture she has. I tried to photo restore it, but the materials got faded because of some chemicals that was spilled on it. Can we have a copy of that picture? PLEASE SAY YES :'( I AM IN DESPERATE NEED I SWEAR :'(((((

    ReplyDelete
  14. CC, as per my April 13 comment above, Tropicana still has photo files from 1996 onwards. Suggest you call them at 281.2987.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny how I just recently found out I'm in a way blood related to Mang Ador...

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for posting Ms. Cecile M. I've known Mang ador since I was second year High school and he became like my second grandfather. I miss talking to him every now and then just before he died we always talk and I've always visited him. I thanked him for his confident in me that I can make things on my own and do my best. He is such a very sweet lolo and friend and mentor. God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mang Ador was a warm and friendly person, and you're lucky to have enjoyed a good rapport with him.

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  17. God, Mang Ador is passed away already. Siya ang photographer ko noong graduation ko sa Mapua way back in 1992. Siya din ang photographer ng family namin. Mabait pa naman iyong tao.

    By the way, who's managing the Tropicana Studio and the recent photographer? Do they have an official website? I know that most of the businesses nowadays have their own websites.

    Sana maging matatag pa iyong Tropicana Studio.

    Have a nice day to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment.

      Yes, Mang Ador was a loss not only to Tropicana but to Malabon. He was like an institution in himself during those days.

      I was told that the studio is currently being managed by one of his sons. They have staff who take the pictures. I don't think they have a website.

      Delete