Sunday, October 31, 2010

Here's an unusual reminder at the Tugatog Cemetery for All Saints' Day

The first time I saw this tombstone at the Tugatog Public cemetery in the late 60s, I felt frightened. 
The tableau is eye-catching and strange, to say the least
Instead of depicting a victorious St. Michael the Archangel over Lucifer as written in the Bible, the tombstone shows Lucifer triumphing over St. Michael.  I thought - what a terrifying scene and who in the world would want to put that kind of tombstone on his grave? 

Through the years, this unusual tombstone engaged my imagination and obviously that of many others, because it has been featured on television and in some newspaper and magazine articles.

To this day, the tableau never fails to draw attention, especially on All Saints' Day when the living troop to the cemeteries to remember their dead loved ones.


WHO HAD THAT STATUE MADE AND WHY?

Don Simeon Bernardo of Barangay Concepcion had it made.  In a GMA News feature in 2007, the grandson who was interviewed by Kara David said that it was his grandfather's express wish to have the statues placed on his tomb.  He also said that contrary to what some people think, Don Simeon was not a satanist; that he was in fact, a very prayerful person. 

As to why he had it made, the stone inscription at the left side of the statue, I believe, holds the answer.  When I went to take pictures last Wednesday, the lettering was barely readable.  A video grab of the GMA News feature three years ago shows that the inscription was readable then.

Video grab from GMA News feature in 2007
The supposed dialogue between Lucifer and St. Michael on the inscription goes like this:

LUCIFER: Bakit ka nakikialam sa kaharian ko dito sa lupa ay hindi na kayo kundi ako ang hari, ako ang nagturo kay Eva at Adan kaya nagkaroon ng sangkatauhan.

SAN MIGUEL: Ang lupa at langit ay gawa ng aking panginoon, kaya hanggang dito ang aming kapangyarihan.

LUCIFER: Bulaan hambog, kung ano ang ibig ko siya ritong masusunod at hindi ang ibig mo - digmaan, arihan, dayaan, sugal, lahat ng layaw ng katawan naibibigay ko sa tao, pati mga alagad ng mga panginoon mo, napapasunod ko, ano pa ang ginagawa mo rito?

SAN MIGUEL (SA SARILI): Panginoon kong nasa langit nasaan ang kapangyarihan mo?

SAN MIGUEL: Tao, tulungan ninyo ako na labanan ang kasamaan, pairalin ang katarungan at pagibig sa kapwa, iwasan ang kasakiman sa salapi at kapangyarihan na pinagmumulan ng ligalig.


I thought that Don Simeon composed the dialogue himself.   But according to Mr. Florentino Bernardo, another grandson of Don Simeon, it is believed that the above passage was taken by Don Simeon from the Bible.  He noted that during the Spanish times when his grandfather lived, ordinary citizens were prohibited from reading the Bible by the friars.  However, I notice that there is no attribution to a Bible verse on the stone inscription.

In response to my query on whether Don Simeon left any autobiography or memoirs to explain his motivation, Mr. Bernardo said that his grandfather did not.  It seems the latter simply had the statues and inscription made while he was still alive and left instructions that these were to be placed on his grave. But he believes their Lolo Simeon had that unusual tombstone made as a reminder to everyone about what was happening in the world.

Apparently echoing Mang Floren's belief, a great grandson, Mr. Lubis Bernardo, said that the late Atty. Sumilang Bernardo, daughter of Don Simeon, once told them that the reason why her father had the statues made was that he believed evil was prevailing over good in the world.

In the late 70s, according to Lubis, Atty. Sumilang asked him to replace the statues because they had been destroyed by addicts.  It so happened that the replacement statues were bigger than the original (by approximately five inches), and it seems there was even talk by some people who didn't know about the replacement, that the devil was getting bigger! 

Both Lubis and his Uncle Floren mentioned that a relative of theirs once said they could remove the statues if people changed for the better and good really prevailed in the world. 


If indeed Don Simeon Bernardo's intention was to remind us, I'd say he has pretty much succeeded.

And for this he will be remembered... long after he has passed on from this world that he believed needed reminding.

The anguished look on St. Michael's face says it all.   Seeing this I think I pretty much understand what might have been Don Simeon's concern, which motivated him to have this unusual scene sculpted in stone. 

The remains of Don Simeon Bernardo have since been transferred to a memorial park and other relatives are interred here.  The stone inscription to the left was all white and barely readable when I dropped by.

.

26 comments:

  1. Hi Cecile. Maybe you should write about something with Don Simeon. isn't the house at badeo 3, concepcion is the house of Don Simeon? thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, Thank you for your comment.

    I really wanted to be able to say more about Don Simeon because I was intrigued by his tombstone legacy. But I already spoke with two descendants and they couldn't offer more insights about him.

    The old Farmacia Bernardo in Concepcion was Don Simeon's ancestral house. One of these days I hope to feature that here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you cecile for this awesome feature!

    I was actually working on our family tree, and found out that I'm related with the Bernardo's. Then I remembered about the tombstone statue, googled it, and found your article.

    I just have to say that your article enlightened me about the stories and rumors that have had been spreading about the real symbolism of the statue.

    Again, thank you so much and now i'm about to read your other articles about malabon! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick, that statue has always intrigued me, and writing about it gave me a chance to finally understand what it was all about.

    Thanks for your comment and all the best on your family tree project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don Simeon was my lolo. Much of what was written above is true. But as a background, my lolo Simeon was tortured by the friars and exiled to the Caroline Islands. My father wrote about this statue. You can email me at mlpison@yahoo.com if you want a copy. --Martin Pison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, Don Simeon was my Lolo too but I'm praising him openly in my poems and blogs. Why don't you come out of the closet? Like Rommel has identified himself. BTWay, have we all met before?

      Delete
  6. The house beside Badeo 3 (wooden boat station) belonged to Don Romulo Bernardo. It was built in 1928. Romulo is the first born son of Don Simeon Bernardo (via the first wife). This house now belongs to the Estate of the late Tirso Santos Bernardo. I am a fifth generation Bernardo counted from Don Simeon.

    Interestingly enough, Romulo Bernardo according to our family tombstones is ROMULO B. BERNARDO, or Bernardo-Bernardo.

    The Simeon Bernardo ancestral house proper is the old Farmacia Bernardo property.The whole clan knows this story by heart (at least those from an older generation or those interested in history)

    Martin Pison, I assume your a son of Tito Ted and Tita Rose?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martin - That's interesting info you provided. My belated thanks for your comment. I will be emailing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cecil,

      I remember coming across an email requesting for a copy of what my dad wrote. But I did not associate it with this thread because there was no introduction whatsoever, so I ignored it. I'm pretty sure it was not from you, however. Just email me if you want a copy.

      I don't know if you already know another angle of this story. Tiya Silang, Tiya Patty, and Tiya Liway (my grand aunts, but who were all called "tiya" because they never married) all refused to marry and passed away single. This was because Lolo Simeon, their father, made them swear never to be Catholic, and the only way to get married then was through the Catholic Church. He hated the friars for oppressing the people and killing off our heroes like Rizal. Of course, they tortured him too. He was a mason. He even related that on their way to the Caroline Islands, they were made to eat from pans on which they also defecated. Of all the daughters, three of them kept their promise. I am a descendant of one of the daughters who was not able to keep it.

      Martin

      Delete
    2. Martin, thanks again for the write-up you sent and the added info/angle you just provided. I didn't know that your three grand aunts remained single because of your Lolo Simeon. I used to hear the name of your Tiya Silang from my late aunt who also happened to be a lawyer from Malabon.

      Delete
  8. Rommel - Thank you for the added info. Your lolo Don Simeon certainly had a very intriguing legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi martin, I am rose. I also sent you email regarding this. please check. It's from dlsrose.caasi@gmail.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose,

      Sorry, but can you email me again. I remember coming across an email requesting for a copy but there was no introduction whatsoever so I didn't know that it proceeded from this thread. Thanks!

      Martin

      Delete
    2. Yes, Rommel, I am. Have we met before? It's been some time since I visited the ancestral house in Malabon.

      Delete
  10. Hi Cecile!

    I was happy to find your blog post about this particular statue in the Tugatog cemetery -- We were there last night and were able to see it up close.

    Hope you don't mind that linked to it from our blog. And allow me to congratulate you for a very well-researched piece!

    http://helloballoon.com/2011/culture/cemetery-food-an-all-saints-day-special/

    Thanks, and best wishes! By the way, my mom's family is from Dampalit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. Thank you for your comment. I'm happy to have you place a link of this blog to yours. Interesting blog you have going, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Cecile! Would love to stay in touch. In the meantime, more power to you and our beloved Malabon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice! this is featured in TV Patrol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this statue is really an interesting piece, it never fails to catch people's attention. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  14. I'm from tugatog malabon... when i was a kid,, i always try to find the answers about this intriguing statue.. as time goes by when it was featured in different tv programs.. i started to realized what this statue all about and the owner who puts it on his tomb.. then this blog really help to those who are interested in finding the answers to their questions about the historical statue at tugatog cemetery.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like you when I was young I used to be so intrigued by this statue. The owner certainly had an unusual way of sharing whatever message he had in mind.

      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  15. DEVIL-INSPIRED POEM
    By R.M. Bernardo, cnx.org author Disproving JR's Retraction

    Faiths' Nation brands its rare tomb-owner mad,
    Devil by whose Parting Shot they've been had,
    By Tomb's TABLEAU! Munch's SCREAM also made such
    Shock waves it caused viewers to freeze and clutch

    Their faiths'teachings for light,praying their God
    That Devil's Thing on Holy Ground(which stood
    On its blest head beliefs that Angel Michael
    Had for all time subdued the Prince of Hell)

    "Would vanish into thin air like a bad dream!"
    But though mute it cries like Munch's frozen SCREAM
    There. Stolid as the indolent mindset
    Of a people by faiths made fools of yet.

    This sage mused:"JR's Noli had stirred things too,
    Why not fire up culture's faiths-damaged to
    See from PH's Most Thought-Provoking Tomb
    Misled seekers not so much damned,as dumbed?"

    Like JR, PH's Rarest Tomb-Owner urged:
    "Wake up; question; read deep to probe what's what,
    Commit to heart JR's Saving Message,
    De-brutalize our Indolent Mindset!"

    Those Cold Hard Guides scream on,ignored,as these:
    "Let's end being one-eyed Binay-ted fools,
    Not just on our Special Days for All Souls,
    But fighting dynasts, crooks, dolts at the Polls!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thought-provoking poem - certainly in the footsteps of your grandfather's very intriguing tombstone. He must have been quite a character, to even think of creating this statue and having it placed on his tomb to stoke the imagination of generations to come! How I wish he could have left some memoirs to help us understand the whole thing better. But then, that, too, is part of the mystique - that he basically let the statue and the inscription speak for him.

      I do agree with you. In the same way that Rizal's Noli stirred things up too, so did Don Simeon in his own intriguing way. Hopefully more people will take his message to heart...

      Delete
    2. Great poem Tito Bobby!

      Martin Pison

      Delete
  16. I meant to thank you at first before anything else for a well-researched piece on my grandfather, the first and best of its kind I've seen. You're right that the words are his,explaining the anguish on St. Michael's face as he utters his first cry to self,followed by his cry to all peoples. When I rushed my first comment and urged that we all come out of the closet I really meant those who replied anonymously. It didn't refer of course to my nephew's(Martin Pison's) very informed comment. I hope he sent you the mentioned papers by Don Simeon himself.And with all these new info, I hope you'll someday update and expand your article into a booklet. RMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words on my piece. I don't have a copy yet of the write-up Martin was telling me about. I hope he can send me a copy at mymalabon@gmail.com. If I can find out more about Don Simeon and his intriguing legacy, I will certainly share relevant info on this site.

      Delete