Tuesday, August 31, 2010

More old photos of San Bartolome Church

Because of its long history and grandeur, San Bartolome Church is obviously the most photographed church in Malabon.  Thanks to some wonderful people who shared their old photos with me, I now have a mini-gallery which I would like to share with you as a way of capping the month of San Bartolome's feast.

Circa 1800s (Photo from PIO/Malabon and a  Facebook friend)

Circa 1800s (Photo from Arch. Richard Bautista)

Circa early 1950s after the war.  Note that up to this time, the church walls and its columns still have the original adobe exposed.  (Photo from Ramon Manapat, taken by his father Nelson)

Circa 1970s showing the Parish Rectory and Multipurpose Building (Photo from PIO/Malabon)

Circa late 1960s/early 1970s.  By this time, the adobe walls and columns had been plastered and painted.  (Photo taken by Ramon Manapat)

Note as of April 8, 2014:  Please see comments below regarding period in which this photo might have been taken.   (Photo from PIO/Malabon)

.

10 comments:

  1. richard tuason-sanchez bautistaAugust 31, 2010 at 11:29 PM

    the first photo came from the lopez museum collection. circa 1880's.

    the last one is circa late 1990's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Richard! I always appreciate your comments/clarifications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog feature is really nice, Cecile! I lived in Malabon also for 4 years and graduated from St.James...

    Can I message Mr. Richard Bautista through this comment thread? Thanka =)

    Hi Mr.Richard! I wish to meet you and or join some of your restoration projects as a volunteer. Heritage buildings preservation is one of my top advocacies and in fact, I'm planning to put up an NGO to promote it. I'd love to share my ideas with you.

    My contact info is:
    RAYMOND DIAMZON
    0918-6249984 / 02-3324121
    monjcity@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raymond, I'll see if I can get your message to Arch. Richard Bautista.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the seventies, the Holy Week Processions of San Bartolome
    were among the best in Rizal Province. Since my Father hails
    from this town, I spent my Holy Week vacation with my Aunts
    on Holy Tueday or Holy Wednesday the Procession that emerged
    from the portals of the San Bartolome was filled beautiful
    antique images.

    When I came back in 2007, there was no signs of the old tableaux,
    and not to mention only few images joined the procession. What happened
    to these processional images?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I'm not sure what might have happened to the processional images, I can only surmise that many times, the images that join church processions don't all belong to the church but to private families or individuals. It's possible that these families or individuals no longer join the procession for one reason or another.

      Delete
  6. Hi! It was very nice to see the images of old San Bartolome here. But for the last picture, i beg to disagree if its in 1990s. As can be seen in the pillars of the church's facade, there is a black ribbon-like cloth tied around. If my memory serves me right, thats in 2005. that black cloth symbolizes the mourning of the Church in the passing of Pope John Paul II. Anyways, I appreciate your generosity in sharing this wonderful memorabilia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and for sharing your recollection of the circumstances regarding the black cloth around the pillars.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing photos of San Bartolome church. The church where most of my Limcolioc ancestors were baptized in the 1820s to 1840s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share these photos. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete