Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sweet Memories at Betsy's Cake Center


Before Goldilocks and Red Ribbon bakeshops, there was BETSY'S CAKE CENTER in Malabon.

Presently located on Rizal Avenue between Chow King and Baker's Fair, BETSY'S has been giving Malabon residents the sweetest memories with its pastries and cakes since 1962.


 
I remember when my Mom used to buy their bestselling jelly rolls in the original location across the Municipio.  Soon enough BETSY'S became our neighborhood bakeshop selling comfort-food pastries like ensaymada, mamon, brownies, egg pie, cream puffs and many more in addition to special-order cakes.

I don't remember when they moved to their present location where they now also serve fastfood dishes; I just know that to this day, BETSY'S broas - soft and airy ladyfingers with light buttercream filling - are the best I've tasted.  (Read what well-known cake designer and pastry chef Heny Sison said about BETSY'S broas: click on Heny Sison on Betsy's.





I like their meat rolls as well.  The meat filling is just right in terms of taste and quantity - no "hello-where-are-you" which is what my sister and I joke whenever we buy meat rolls, empanadas or siopao that are mostly bread and you have trouble finding the filling.  And the bread is really good, it's not commercial in quality.  Light and tasty just like home-baked bread, you could eat the bread by itself without need for filling or spread.

Thanks to BETSY'S, Malabon food-lovers can continue to have sweet memories right in our own neighborhood!




.

4 comments:

  1. Being based in San Francisco, I miss their products as well as Betsy's ever smiling face. Are any of the Serna's still running the place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, not only do they still have their original products, they have added even more goodies. One of these days I will take pictures of their products as well and post them here. The Sernas are still running the place. I was there just yesterday to buy broas. Betsy was there with her daughter. And you're right, she readily smiles at the customers.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom's beauty shop used to be located next door to Betsy's at the original location in Municipio so we would always get something from there. Cecile, you said you saw Betsy there with Karen? We used to play together back in those days when I would go with my mom to her beauty shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlos, thank you for your comment.

    I didn't quite get the name of Betsy's daughter who was with her when I saw them - it's Betsy whom I know more.

    ReplyDelete